Thursday, July 05, 2007

Happy Independence Day

I went through this day with ease today. No regularly scheduled work, slept in late, ate some good food, watched one of my tenant families set off a small fireworks display, and thought little about the significance of this day. As I sit here on the commuter, it dawned on me that I really really didn't think about the fact that I am free, that I live in a country that is based on the freedom of the people. I was a bit ashamed. I, like so many of my fellow countrymen and women, enjoy the rewards of a free society, we live our everyday lives they way we do because of the fact that we live in a free nation, yet the fact we are free rarely comes to the forefront of our minds.

We hear much today about how we actually aren't free that our rights are being stripped from us. Funny side note, both sides of the political spectrum rail against the daily dwindling of our freedoms. DO I think that our God-given rights are being infringed upon, yes. DO I agree with some who shout in hysteria that we are no longer free, ABSOLUTELY NOT! The very fact that they can rail demonstrates that we are still free.

So I agree that some of our freedoms and rights are being infringed upon, now what. Get involved. VOTE, now there is a strange concept to many in this country. Leaders slowly chip away at freedoms because the people are not telling them to stop. But we need to do more than vote. Talk to those you elect, and talk to those who get elected in spite of your vote. The old saying, "The squeeky wheel gets grease." is true. When it comes to our leaders they will do what they want until they know that there is enough of the public actively involved to make them fear for their jobs.

One final thought about this wonderful country. I hear every day people pointing out the flaws of this country, past, present and perhaps future. It seems to have become an obsession to some. I, for one, am glad to hear the flaws. As a true student of history, I feel it is vital to the continued success of a nation for its citizens to continually examine the actions and history of the nation, warts and all. We will only right the wrongs, or avoid similar wrongs if we know what we have done wrong and what we have done right. One other thing, it seems that we are one of the few countries that does this constantly. Good for us.

America, happy birthday, may we see many more, and may we see our country stay true to what is right!

No comments: