Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Downtown; what do you see in your mind's eye when I say that word? I live in a small city, Greenville, SC. We are a growing city and one that is transforming itself from a quiet little southern town into a modern, sophisticated small market city.
I remember when "downtown" brought images of empty storefronts, drunks sleeping and urinating on the sidewalks, troubled teens cruising main street looking for some kind of trouble to get into.
Today, "downtown" is vibrant with shoppes, restaurants, art galleries, upscale condos, the hustle and bustle of people trying to be a part of the "scene" that is "downtown". I like many aspects of what has happened to downtown.
I was downtown tonight, working. I was not happy with the fact that I could not find parking, of course, I actually could have found parking, if I had been willing to pay $5.00 for about an hour's worth of work.
As I circled the blocks surrounding the building I was working in, I had an opportunity to make some interesting, ironic, funny, or just mundane observations:
1). The most recent controversy from City Council has been a smoking ban in bars and restaurants in the city, and Even outside in the immediate vicinity of the bar or restaurant. This ban was recently ruled unconstitutional. I bring this up to mention what I find to be ironic or funny. As I drove down Main st. I spotted a cigar store (funny by itself in light of the ban), and then 2 doors down a store with a banner that read, "Quit smoking classes every Monday"
2). I love "people-watching" and today was no exception. The people who were strolling, meandering, power walking, and even jogging downtown ran the gambit from new age hippies, to aging sports fans, from hip young professional couples to young couples desperately trying to look hip, from rebellious outsider teens and twenty-somethings,to straight laced conformists.
3). Speaking of jogging, what is the deal with these folks who jog in public, crowded places, esp. in areas where their jogging will be interrupted repeatedly by traffic lights and turning cars? I don't get it. I would think that jogging in these conditions would not be conducive to healthy exercise. Of course, it is probably conducive to drawing attention to one's self and getting props for being healthy.
All in all, my visit downtown was fun and I got paid. I need to do this more often, have fun and get paid for it, that is! :)